Thursday, February 10, 2011

Soul Walking


I have begun a new type of walk two or three times a week. I call it a soul walk. Entirely different than my physical walk that I do three or four times a week.
While engaged in soul walking one should let ones mind simply relax.
Soul walks are not undertaken in order to solve lifes problems, resolve difficult situations or decide future activities.
Soul walks are simply for walking.
If you are accustomed to timing your walks or using a pedometer then this kind of walking will be a new experience for you.
If you are one of those curious folk who have taken up the latest and strange fad of aerobic walking...soul walking may take some getting used to.
When I am out on a soul walk, all kinds of wonderful things happen. A porcupine ambles on. Squirrels stop by to say hello. The sun rises. Ducks fly by in slow motion. Wonderful things that remind me of why I live near the warm Gulf winds. Indeed, why I live at all.
I am convinced that we need a little less regimen to our living and a lot more purposeless activity...like soul walking.
Which brings me to my final point. I believe it brings out the positiveness in we that have bipolar disorder. It is the relaxation that we so often need; it is strictly for fun.
If you become compulsive about it or develop a daily discipline that demands your allegiance then it is not soul walking anymore. It is something else and it may even be good for you but it is definitely not soul walking.
Soul walking is an exercise in nothingness. There is no purpose, no destination, no reward but the walk itself.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post!! I will be doing some soul walking during my recovery.

    ReplyDelete